Frequently Asked Questions


1. When will I get my refund for living expenses?

It is important to note the difference between your disbursement date and your refund date.  Once your loans disburse to your TouroOne account as noted below, you will receive a refund from the Bursar's office within 14 calendar days after the date you have a credit balance on TouroOne.  See more information on our Orientation page

2. How many financial aid disbursements will I have? When will I receive them?

In general, you will receive one disbursement for each of your loans per academic session during the year. For example, if you attend fall and spring, you would typically receive two disbursements of your Unsubsidized Direct Loans, and two disbursements of the Grad PLUS or private alternative loans.  If you attend summer, fall and spring you will receive three disbursements and they are generally split evenly in thirds.

Disbursements are timed to coincide with the start of each academic session/semester.   However, this is dependent on all documentation being properly completed.

You can see disbursement dates on TouroOne by following this path:

Financial Services Tab > Financial Aid Awards > Select “2018-2019” > Select “Award Payment Schedule Link” (at the bottom of the page).  Your refund will occur within 14 days after the posted funds creating a credit balance on your account.  See the bursar's page for more information.

3. How do I start the financial aid process?

The TUC process is available on our Application Process Page.

4. What is the school code for Touro University California (used for FAFSA and other processing)?

Touro University California's school code is: 041426. Note that this code will show “Touro University California” as the school.

5. How do I get help completing my FAFSA?

Go to Follow the instructions on the website to obtain a FSA ID and prepare your FAFSA. There is a FAFSA Help Line at (800) 4-FED AID or
(800) 433-3243.

 6. Do I have to update my FAFSA every year I am enrolled?

 Yes, you must re-file your FAFSA for every year in which you request financial aid. No aid can be awarded until your FAFSA in completed for the next summer, fall, and spring of enrollment.  

 7. When/how will I receive my award letter/loan offer?

Awarding generally begins in May.  Students must have completed the FAFSA as noted above as well as providing any additional requested forms from financial aid.

New, incoming students must be fully admitted in our system in order to be awarded. Current students must be registered for at least 6 credits hours in eligible credits for their program of study for summer or fall 2019 in order for an award letter to be issued.

You will need to log into TouroOne to review your award letter. 

 8. How do I log into TouroOne?

After you are accepted as a TUC student, you will receive a communication advising you of your Touro ID.  Start by logging into If you haven’t logged into TouroOne before, check out this:  

All Financial Aid Information is on TouroOne under the Financial Services tab.

9. What is the program’s Cost of Attendance? How is it determined?

The program’s Cost of Attendance (COA), also known as the student budget, is the average estimated cost for a student to attend a particular program for a specific academic year.  The COA is a modest but adequate standard of living. Your individual budget may be higher or lower.  The COA does not include living expenses for a student’s spouse or other dependents.  The loan amounts borrowed and scholarship awarded cannot exceed the COA minus any other aid/loans received.

Cost of Attendance budgets for each program are available online by clicking on Cost of Attendance.

10. How much do I borrow? I want to keep my loan debt to a minimum.

Determining your budget, or how much you will spend each month is a great way to start.  See our budget tools here.  Once you know what you will need each month for room and board, personal, and transportation expenses, multiply that amount for the time you are in school. Most programs have 9 month first year budgets.  Add to that your tuition, fees, books and supplies. That is the total amount you need for a year.  Subtract out any saving or work earnings you anticipate. Remember, you can request more later - up to but not more than your total cost of attendance if you need it.  Starting low can have the affect of keeping you on a leaner budget.

11. What is the maximum loan amount I can borrow in my academic/financial aid year?

The maximum loan amount a student may be eligible to borrow in a single academic/ financial aid year cannot exceed the total Cost of Attendance (COA) for the program for that specific year.  You can see your remaining unmet need for each year in TouroOne by following the path indicated below.

Financial Services Tab > Financial Aid Awards > Select “2018-2019” > Select “Award Overview” at the top. Review the Need Calculation.   The “Need” line shows your remaining unmet need, or the amount you can borrow.


12. What happens if the Cost Of Attendance is not sufficient or if I have a financial emergency?

Please keep in mind that according to federal regulations, the budget is constructed for students only, not a student’s family.  Requests for increases will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and must have supporting documentation. Regulations allow us to review dependent care costs, medical expenses, and adjustments to already existing room & board, personal, and transportation expenses.  To request a COA adjustment, please email financial aid.  We can discuss your unique circumstance and necessary forms and documentation. Documents must support expenses paid, not expenses billed.

 13. How do I complete a Loan Application / Master Promissory Note?

You work directly with the Department of Education to complete and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Go to to complete your Unsubsidized Loan and Grad Plus MPN.

14. Are my Federal Direct Loans disbursed to me personally?

No. Direct loans are disbursed to the school via your TouroOne account. The Bursar’s Office credits the student’s ledger account, charges appropriate tuition and fees, and then calculates any refund of any credit balance due to the student. You can see your balance on TouroOne at:

Financial Services tab > Click Financial Aid Awards > 2018-2019 Aid Year > Account Summary By Term Link (bottom of page) 

You will receive your credit balance refund faster if you sign up for eRefunds.  See the Bursar's page for more information.

 15. What if I would rather use a private loan?

The federal loan program has some additional safety nets built in. Make sure to evaluate these in addition to the interest rates.  You can see some lender suggestions on our Other Financing Options Page.

 16. Are my alternative loan(s) disbursed to me?

No. This is similar to the federal loans.  If you have borrowed more than tuition and fees in any given semester, the credit balance will be refunded to you. 

17. How do I report other sources of financial aid such as military or outside scholarships?

Email us and let us know what you are anticipating, from what entity and when.

18. How do I apply for Federal Work Study?

* When completing your FAFSA, please answer "yes" when asked "Are you interested in work-study?"

* Once you have been awarded Federal Work Study, you will need to find a position.  See more information here.

19. Who completes my In-School Deferment Form?

The Registrar reports all in school status to the National Student Loan Clearinghouse on a monthly basis. This will place you in an In-School status with your lenders. You may also download a In-School Deferment Form and submit it to the Registrar for processing.  See the Registrar's page for more information. 

20. I have questions about my loan repayment.  

See our Loan Repayment page for more information.

21. What if I believe my financial aid has not been handled in accordance with federal regulation?

Students may contact the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman's Office.